Large Format Printing Guide For Letter Visibility & Distance

Large Format Printing Guide For Letter Visibility & Distance

Large format graphics will not help your business if the letters on the sign cannot be viewed by your audience. Large format printing can ensure that the desired marketing message of your wide format printing banners or signs is the largest and easiest to read aspect of the sign or banner. As a rule, the letters on the large format graphics need to be printed in a size that provides ease of reading by the intended audience. Large format printing makes sure the letters are easy to read whether the sign or banner is being viewed up close or at a distance. In general, letters on wide format printing materials should be approximately one inch tall per ten feet of viewing distance.

Large Format Graphics & Signage Factors

Here are some of the most important factors to keep in mind for signage with large format graphics:

  • The letters should have a good amount of thickness as thinner letters are often harder to read. In addition, a simple bold font on large format printing can make the letters stand out.
  • White space is the open area that surrounds the copy. In general, the copy should be around 40% of the sign while the remaining 60% should be white space. The open white space on the wide format printing gives the words “room to breathe” and makes the copy easier to read and stand out on the sign.
  • Kerning is the space that is located between the letters. Take care with the spacing of the letters to make sure they are not too close together or too hard to read.

Letter Size Formula For Large & Wide Format Printing

When it comes to determining the perfect size for letters, there is actually a letter-size formula for large and wide format printing that helps determine the ideal size of the letters. The letter size formula for the letter height is:

The Letter Height (in inches) x 10 (for readable distance for maximum impact) = The Maximum Readable Distance

It’s said that, for every one inch of letter height, the letters provide 10 feet of readability.

For example, letters that are 3 inches tall make a maximum impact when they are 30 feet away. However, the letters can still be seen and read from up to 100 feet away.

Installed Graphics Large Format Printing Installation Services

Installed Graphics large format printing installation services ensure the letters on your banner or signs are installed for maximum visibility. Wide-format printing makes a big impact on consumers but you want to make sure that the impact that is made is a positive one where your target audience is able to easily view and read the copy on the printed materials. Letters that are too small or too close together will not deliver the desired marketing message and will not properly brand your business thanks to the confusing letters on the large format graphics.

Learn more about large format printing for letter visibility and distance when you contact our team today.

Call Us for More Information at 314-872-3100


    Corporate Office
    10778 Trenton Avenue
    St. Louis, MO 63132
    United States

    Fabrication and Installation Facilities Nationwide
    © All Rights Reserved